Last updated: 19th Apr 2017
First impressions count, which is why your About Me section is so important to winning work on ServiceSeeking.com.au. This short description is critical for customers to get to know your business and learn about the services you offer. The About Me helps explain questions like: Who are you? What do you do? And what makes you better than your competitors?
Putting extra time and effort into your About Me will help your business grow, but sometimes it can be difficult talking about yourself. To make life easier, we’ve put together some questions to use as a guide for your About Me.
1. Business Introduction – Who, what, where?
In 2-3 sentences, explain what kind of business you are, who your team members are and what location you service.
- Eg. Mr. Handyman is the go-to business for all your odd jobs around the house. We’re a duo of fully insured, experienced handymen – Steve & Tim – servicing around the Sydney area.
2. Why should a customer hire you for their job?
Talk about the qualities your business has that customers would be looking for for such as reliability, honesty, care and experience.
- Eg. Having 15 years experience in the Handyman industry, there is no home job too odd for us to take care of. If your job requires lisensed plumbing or electrical work, we have reliable contacts we can call in.
3. What do you do that your competitors don’t?
Here, you can explain why you are better than the average business in your industry and what makes your business unique.
- Eg. We have a fine attention to detail and our work comes fully guaranteed and insured. We go above and beyond to satisfy our clients – you’ll be amazed at how quickly & efficiently we work.
4. What are the specific services and type of jobs you specialise in?
Using bullet points, list the specific services customers can expect from your business.
- Eg. Indoor and outdoor home handyman services including:
- Hanging Frames
- Garden Maintenance
- Flatpack Assembly
- Replacing Light Bulbs
- Pergola Construction
- Smoke Alarms
- Door & Window Repairs
5. How do you price and charge for your work?
Be honest about how you price and charge for your work.
- Eg. We provide an approximate quote range for your job on ServiceSeeking.com.au and a more precise quote upon a free site inspection. For smaller jobs, we will quote directly online.
6. What are some other frequently asked customer questions and your usual answers to them?
Come up with 2-3 common questions you are frequently asked by customers, and answer them in your About Me. This could save a customer from sending you a direct message.
- Eg. Can a Handyman do Electrical and Plumbing work?
- Handymen are not qualified to carry out extensive electrical or plumbing work, however we can help with lightbulb replacement, dripping taps and bathroom/kitchen cabinetry construction
7. Do you provide any special offers or pricing for ServiceSeeking.com.au customers?
Consider including student/pensioner discount, free quoting and inspection services, $20 discount off 2nd job, insurance etc.
- Eg. We provide a pensioners discount and offer a free onsite quote for larger jobs.
8. What experience and qualifications do you have in your industry?
List the relevant experience and qualifications for your industry. Licence information is a must.
- Eg. We come from a multi-trade background with experience in the areas of painting and carpentry. We are fully licensed and insured with 15 years experience in the Handyman industry.
9. Do you have any tips for customers that can save time and money before they hire you?
This section is to help you and the customer. Think of ways to make the hiring/job process easier – like asking the customer to provid photos or detailing whether they need both labour and materials or just labour.
- Eg. Please share photos and a detailed description of your job so we can quote your work as accurately as possible.
Remember to always talk in short, clear sentences and if you’re unsure about spelling and grammar, get a colleague or family member to help you edit.