Cost of a Bathroom Renovation
- Hear From an Expert
- Bathroom renovation cost examples: prices from real ServiceSeeking jobs
- Common bathroom renovation jobs: full cost breakdown table
- Cost of bathroom materials: fixtures and fittings
- Bathroom renovation costs by Australian states
A budget bathroom renovation in Australia in 2018 starts from $10,000 including labour and low end materials on average. The median cost of a full bathroom renovation with mid quality fittings and finishes costs around $20,000 however layout changes to sewerage and pipe work and increase these costs considerably. On the low end, we have seen budget bathroom renovations on ServiceSeeking for between $2k – $5k. Your options can range from enganging a professional bathroom renovation company to design and project manage your full bathroom renovation for you, to coordinating different trades such as tilers and plumbers yourself – the latter option will usually save you on average 20% versus using a professional bathroom renovation company.
Expect bathroom renovators to charge an hourly rate of $65/hr on average. This rate can still go up or down depending on specific factors, so the highest cost that your bathroom renovation could go is approximately $80/hr. The lowest rate, on the other hand, is about $50/hr.
According to Ben of Shami Renovations, updating a bathroom can cost $7,000 – $8,000 for labour only. With materials, the price of the renovation job can go for $10,000 – $12,000. A typical reno project includes rubbish removal, demolition, plumbing, tiling, plastering, and electrical work.
Additionally, some customers want to modify the layout of their bathrooms or install a bath in an area where there is no bathroom at all — for example, a big room that will be converted to an en suite. These will require major changes like creating new connections for water supply and waste. In such case, expect to pay an extra $1,500 – $2,000 to cover the cost of new fixtures.
Read More: Bathroom Renovations on a Budget
What determines the cost of a bathroom renovation?
One particular bathroom renovation might cost $2,000 to $5,000 while another bathroom renovation might cost $15,000 – $20,000 include:
- Where you live – builders will take advantage if you live in a wealthy postcode
- Whether you need to undertake structural work or not
- The cost of fittings and fixtures that you select?
- The floor plan & size of area.
- Whether you’re moving existing fittings and fixtures.
- Is it a new bathroom entirely? That will drive up the price.
- Installing luxury features like floor heating.
Because the above bathroom renovations are generally divided into some rough categories, generally speaking:
- A budget renovation costs between $2,500 and $5,000
- A standard renovation costs between $5,000 and $25,000
- A premium or luxury renovation costs over $25,000
Bathroom renovation prices from real customers
He had 2 full bathroom (1 ensuite and 1 main bathroom) renovations done at his home in Bellevue Hill.
Other details: The cost of the project included labour and all materials.
TOTAL COST: $40,000
2 full bathroom (1 ensuite and 1 main bathroom) renovations were done at his home in Quakers Hill.
Other details: The price included the cost of labour and all materials except for the tiles.
TOTAL COST: $26,000
She had the bathroom of her home in Como completely renovated.
Other details: The price included the cost of labour and all materials needed (including fixtures and fittings).
TOTAL COST: $10,000
Houzz recently published a Bathroom Trends Study
The Houzz Australia 2017 Bathroom Trends Study specified the following.
- If you are between 35 and 54 years of age, you’ll spend about $12,700 on a bathroom renovation.
- If you’re under 35, the study indicates you’ll spend about $9,100.Small bathrooms that are less than 5m2 in size cost an average of $9,700 to renovate.
- Renovating a bathroom that’s larger than this will come in at around $13,200.
- If you are over 54, the study indicates that you’ll spend around $11,900 on average.
Cost of common bathroom renovation jobs
|Bathroom Renovation Task||Typical Quoted Prices|
|Bathroom fixture installation||$1,000|
|Shower screen installation||$1,400|
Bathroom renovation costs: The difference lies in the details
What extra features drive up the cost?
- Budget tiles cost anywhere from $30 to $55 per square meter (m2) while premium tiles can cost $165m2 or more.
- A budget bathtub costs around $300 to $500 dollars and will usually be acrylic. A premium bathtub can cost as much as $3000 – $8000 and a mid-range tub might cost $1000 – $3000. Keep in mind that you will be paying extra for installation.
- While a basic toilet costs around $250 including installation, a nicer toilet might cost about $400. A premium toilet costs up to $1200. A vanity costs $120 to $200 for a budget vanity, $700 – $850 for a standard vanity and $1500 or more for a premium vanity.
Cost differences will vary for other fittings such as shower screens, basins, taps, exhaust fans, bathroom lighting, towel rails, tapware and more
While some fittings might be out of your budget, with enough digging around you should be able to find something at a reasonable price point, so always remember to shop around.
A complete bathroom renovation usually includes adding or replacing plumbing fixtures and laying of floor and wall tiles. But apart from these, bathroom renovators also assess the cost by considering the materials used for the following:
- Light Fixtures
The types of materials used can affect the amount of labour required, and some materials are also more complicated to install. Their prices may vary as well; some are naturally more expensive — for instance, countertops made of luxurious materials and tiles with intricate patterns.
Cost of Bathroom Fixtures Supply & Installation
|Bathroom fixtures option||Typical Quoted Prices (mid-level fixtures)|
|Install bathtub||$3,600 – $5,100|
|Install cabinets||$4,700 – $7,000|
|Install vanity unit||$2,800 – $4,100|
|Floor tiling||$2,500 – $3,600|
|Lighting installation||$1,100 – $1,700|
|Shower installation||$3,000 – $4,800|
|Sink installation||$1,400 – $2,300|
|Toilet installation||$250 – $480|
|Exhaust fan installation||$1,100 – $1,700|
What tradespeople will I need for a bathroom renovation?
You’ll need to hire the following tradies to undertake a bathroom renovation:
- Plumbers will be needed for moving or adding plumbing and can also do bath, shower and toilet installations etc.
- An electrician may be needed if you are installing new lighting, underfloor heating, exhaust fans, heated towel rails and hot water heaters.
- A tiler will be needed for floor tiling. You need to keep in mind that it’s currently a legal requirement to have a licensed tiler to install waterproofing, so make sure you adhere to the legislation in your region.
- A waterproofer
- A carpenter for cabinetry or shelving.
- A house painter for re-painting walls, doors, and ceilings.
Cost of Bathroom Renovations Across Different States
In 2015, the Housing Industry Association (HIA) released the bathroom and kitchens renovation report. Their survey found that the average value for a bathroom renovation was $17,779. This isn’t much more than the cost of a bathroom installation in a brand new home, which according to the HIA comes in at an average of $16,731.
Although the quoted hourly rate for bathroom renovations is $65/Hr, costs can vary significantly between different states:
- Bathroom renovation quotes in Victoria average $56/Hr
- Bathroom renovation quotes in New South Wales average $60/Hr
- Bathroom renovations quotes in Western Australia average $88/Hr
- Bathroom renovation quotes in South Australia average $85/ Hr
- Bathroom renovation quotes in Queensland average $65/Hr
Pricing information correct as at March 2018.
Related Bathroom Renovation Articles
- Budget bathroom renovations costs
- Cost of renovating an ensuite bathroom
- Cost of bathroom renovations: real job examples
- Cost of bathroom renovations – Melbourne
- Everything you need to know about bathroom renovations
More Price Guides