The cost of concreting is charged per square metre and varies between the type of concrete being used. The most affordable is spray on concrete at $60/m2 and concrete with a decorative finish is the most expensive at $140/m2.
While most concreting is charged per square metre some is tradies will charge by the hour which usually works out at around $65/hour. Currently according to Serviceseeking.com.au data the national average is $63/hour with ACT being the cheapest state at $45/hour.
Hiring a Concreter
When hiring a concreter it is important to consider the type of job you are getting done. Concreter’s range in level of expertise, some may specialise in certain types of concreting. Here are the most common types of concreting:
- Spray on concrete is a decorative style that can be added onto existing concrete slabs to add decoration. It increases durabilty and bonds easily to the existing surface of concrete. Used mostly on pavements, driveways and foyers. Prices range between $45-$60/m2.
- Exposed Aggregate Concrete is another decorative technique that exposes pebbles and stones through the top of the concrete. Most commonly used for driveways, pathways and outdoor entertaining areas. Prices range between $90-$150/m2.
- Concrete Formwork is concrete poured into moulds and left to set. Used for driveways, paths and foundations for houses and constructions. Formwork involves both Carpenters and Concreters, as the carpenters must build the initial frames. This is charged per hour between $45-$60/hour.
Some Useful Tips
- Smaller jobs can be expensive when you factor in the costs of transporting the machinery, so try checking with your neighbours if they have any concreting jobs at the same time to halve the cost.
- While it may seem like an expensive option compared to other materials, concrete can last up to 50 years.
More Price Guides