(27th October 2017) The results are in and Victorian Plumbers have defeated their counterparts in Western Australia for the title of Australia’s richest tradie after hourly rates surged by 21% in 2017 to an average of $91.21 an hour. Over the past year hourly rates have risen by 4% across all trades, with Queensland and New South Wales peaking at 9%. Yet over the last quarter a 5% spike in prices in Victoria and Western Australia have boosted these two states to the top of the Tradie Rich List.
Here are all the hourly rate changes over the year.
Tradies that have increased their hourly rates since 2016:
- Plumbers in VIC up 21% at $91.21/hour
- Plumbers in NSW up 16% at $85.98/hour
- Builders in SA up 29% at $77.76/hour
- Electricians in SA up 26% at $79.13/hour
- Plasterers in Perth up by 20% at $59.29/hour
- Painters in Adelaide up by 18% at $47.68/hour
Tradies that have decreased since 2016:
- Plumbers in SA down by 2% at $80.90/hour
- Tilers in SA down by 30% at $37.00/hour
- Tilers in Brisbane up by 65% at $62.18/hour (due to a large surge in demand for tilers)
Hourly rates are “gross” rates and aside from including the cost of labour, also cover the cost of running the business including insurance, tools, work vehicles, insurance and superannuation.
The prices were derived by comparing a sample of 52,000 quotes submitted during the FY18 Q1 through ServiceSeeking.com.au to data from the year prior.
To view price changes across eight popular renovation services around the country, including major capital cities, see www.serviceseeking.com.au/renovations .
|Tradie Rich List 2017|
Hr Rate FY18 Q1
|Hr Rate FY17 Q1||Y-o-Y% change|