When it comes to roof maintenance, is it preferable to paint or to replace? Here is one homeowner’s inquiry:
“I am the proud owner of an old gable roof house that has a lot of restoration work to be done. Top on my list is the roof; it is a metal roof that has seen better days. I am attempting to do most of the restoration work myself but the roof seems like it should be left to the professionals. My question is, do I paint it or replace the whole roof? Will it be cheaper in the long run to replace and not think about maintenance for a long time or is painting still a better and more affordable option?”
This homeowner’s concerns are legitimate. Home renovations are a significant investment; that’s why it doesn’t hurt to get a professional opinion. Here’s are the pros and cons of roof painting and roof replacement entail, so you can decide which is the best choice for your home.
The Roof Painting Process
When it comes to roof painting, you have to be very diligent with the pre-cleaning. There should be no debris, bird droppings, grime, or dirt when the roof is ready to paint. A high-pressure cleaner is your friend here.
Once thoroughly cleaned, you need to apply a primer so the paint will adhere to the roof. Once the primer is dry, apply at least two coats of paint with ample drying time in-between.
Pros and Cons of Roof Painting
Here are the pros of roof painting:
- Prevents the growth of lichens and algae, which cause damage to the roof
- Increases curb appeal
- Increases the value of the home by improving aesthetics
- Improves the shelf life of the roof by reducing the chances of surface erosion
- Certain paint sheens can prevent dirt from sticking to the roof
- Reflective paint mitigates the heat absorbed by your roof
- Saves you money on maintenance in an affordable way
And here are the cons of roof painting:
- Painting does not prevent leaks
- Reflective paint may cause an unwanted glare
- A roof with acrylic paint can lose mil thickness when moisture seeps through from bad weather
- Roof painting won’t protect a roof from the effects of a natural disaster
Things to Consider When Painting a Roof
- Type of roof
- Condition of the surface and connective hardware upon inspection
- Surface cleaning
- Layers of existing paint
- Type and colour of paint
When is Roof Replacement the Only Option?
Here are the pros of roof replacement:
- Gives the roof a new lease on life, bypassing the problems that come with an aging roof
- Takes care of multiple problems at once: leaks, rust, wear, mould or torn membrane
- Greatly improves the value of your home
- Affords the opportunity to install more energy-efficient roof type
And here are the cons of roof replacement:
- Costly, involving a wide variety of materials and payment of roof specialists. Get up to 12 quotes from businesses and compare to find your perfect match!
- Time and labour intensive
- Inconvenience to house occupants, who may even need to vacate for a time
Things to Consider When Replacing a Roof
- The budget from the beginning to the end of the project
- The season – don’t replace your roof in winter
- Shop around for a roofing specialist
- Think quality over cost, it will save you money in the long run
- Roofing material – roofing technology has come a long way, offering consistently better options
- Is roof removal included in the quote given? Clarify this with your roof specialists
- How the old roofing materials will be disposed of
The homeowner felt the job needed a professional touch and was not to be attempted by a novice. This is true. Roof restorations, whether a paint job or a replacement, should be left to the professionals. Their expertise and experience allow them to carry out the job with no hitches and to anticipate any eventualities.
Reasons Why Roof Projects Should Be Left to the Professionals
- You will avoid making costly mistakes, saving you money in the long run
- A roofing expert knows what to look out for when checking for damages and trouble areas
- A roofing expert will give you an accurate quote for your budget
- You need somebody who will know what to do in case of any eventualities
- Experts know the best choice of paints and materials for the job
- Roof maintenance is dangerous if you don’t have the appropriate safety training
- Improper repairs can occur if a professional is not handling the job
“Amazing service. Without a doubt the best painting company I have worked in Sydney. Very professional, lots of great advice and communication and a desire to ensure the best outcome for the client. Have already recommended them to others. Thank you!” Customer review from Service Seeking
To Paint or Replace Your Roof, That Is the Question
If the recommendation from your home inspection is to replace your roof because it’s too far gone, you should heed the advice. If the recommendation is to paint the roof, request a quote from our qualified roof professionals to get you started.
Either way, whether you choose to paint or replace your roof, you will see a return on your investment in future roof repairs. Your roof will continue to serve its quiet but mighty purpose, so long as you keep it well maintained.