People living in the Inner city, Eastern Suburbs and the North Shore are paying up to 49% more for their tradies than those living in the South and West. This is according to a map designed by ServiceSeeking.com.au which compared 40,000 quotes submitted by tradies on the site across the last financial year.
People living in the Eastern Suburbs and Inner West pay an average of $72.71 an hour for their tradesmen, compared to those in the Shire who pay from $50.74 to $57.88. Tradies are also charging more on the North Shore at $61.24 to $72.71 an hour, yet charge Mona Vale residents an average of $56.86/hour.
ServiceSeeking.com.au also recorded significant differences across several key industries including Carpenters, Electricians, Plumbers and Painters.
Plumbers are charging higher rates for those North of the Bridge, with the majority of the Northern Beaches and North Shore paying from $87 to $96 an hour. Those towards the West and South are charged between $67 and $75 per hour.
Carpenters charge-out rates are most expensive in the Eastern Suburbs ($85/hr) and cheapest in the West ($52/hr).
Painters are charging higher rates for several Western Suburbs including Liverpool, Guildford (both $84/hr) and Lakemba ($58/hr). So too are Electricians, with residents in Parramatta and Bonnyrigg Heights (both $98/hr) being charged 46% more than those in the upper North Shore suburb of Lane Cove ($67/hr).
So what can you expect to pay for a tradie across Sydney?
- Painters are charging $41/hour in Blacktown, Padstow and Wetherill Park, Beacon Hill, Westmead and Chatswood
- Carpenters are charging $52/hour in Granville, Oatley, Cherrybrook, Rockdale, Kingsgrove and Gladesville
- Electricians are charging $67/hr in Dural, Westmead, Baulkham Hills, Quakers Hill, Frenchs Forest, Pymble and Ashfield
- Plumbers are charging $67/hr in Rockdale, Carlton, Greenacre, Roselands, Chester Hill, Carlingford and Marsden Park
Most Expensive Suburbs:
- Painters are charging $84/hour in Manly, Waverley, Newport, Forestville, Gordon, Turramurra, Cronulla, Annandale and Kingsgrove
- Carpenters are charging $85/hour in Bellevue Hill, Woollahra, Paddington, Randwick, Coogee, Pyrmont, Leichhardt, Gordon, Turramurra and Eastwood
- Electricians are charging $98/hr in Bondi Beach, Vaucluse, Manly, Waterloo, Surry Hills, Gladesville and Roseberry
- Plumbers are charging $96/hr in Rosebay, Bondi Beach, Bellevue Hill, Paddington, Darling Point, Mosman, Balmain, Forest Lodge, Crows Nest, Willoughby, Roseville, Lindfield and North Ryde
Jeremy Levitt, CEO of ServiceSeeking.com.au says of the data, “Tradies working in suburbs considered to be more affluent often increase their charge-out rates because they perceive their customers to be more capable of paying higher prices. In addition to this, these suburbs generally have a higher demand for renovation services.”
Dividing Lines Driving up Price:
Location is everything in Sydney, with hourly charge-out rates varying significantly across several neighbouring suburbs:
- Residents in Newport pay 86% more for a Painter ($84/hr) than neighbouring Mona Vale ($45/hr)
- Residents in Coogee pay 49% more for a Carpenter ($85/hr) than neighbouring Maroubra ($57/hr)
- Residents in Pyrmont pay 38% more for an Electrician ($98/hr) than neighbouring Forest Lodge ($71/hr)
- Residents in Surry Hills pay 35% more for a Carpenter ($70/hr) than neighbouring Ultimo ($52/hr)
- Residents in Mosman pay 28% more for a Plumber ($96/hr) than neighbouring Cremorne ($75/hr)
“While overall, the data suggests that tradies in the East and North are more likely to charge higher rates, a housing construction boom in the Outer West has driven rates in suburbs including Liverpool and Wetherill Park. Renovators need to be sure to compare quotes and prices from numerous tradies to make sure they don’t end up overpaying,” says Levitt.
Hourly rates are “gross” rates and aside from including the cost of labour, also cover the cost of running the business including insurance, tools, work vehicles, insurance and superannuation.
The prices were derived by comparing a sample of 40,000 quotes submitted during 2017 and 2018 through ServiceSeeking.com.au.